If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Connecticut.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Employed, but for how long?

I got off to a quick start with joining this blog, and had intentions of writing more at a quicker pace. As happens in life, things change quickly. The company I work for has been downsizing at a rapid pace over the last few years. Even today, the next round of layoffs was announced. Checking the job boards theirs about 20 job listings for the entire country that match up with my skill set. Not exactly encouraging, but at least unemployment is something I can prepare for and plan.

As I'm typing this, I'm adding unemployment insurance to my mortgage and credit cards, and double checking the requirements for them to actually take over payments. At worst, I'll have spent about $600 over the course of the remainder of this year, but if I'm right and I do end up unemployed shortly, all my debt will be paid monthly and unemployment can cover food and utilities.

Most times we talk about things like natural disasters, civil unrest, etc.... . I'd love to hear feedback on what others are doing to prepare for the possibility of loss of employment.

1 comment:

  1. Well, job loss is still increasing. Even where I work we were just notified that they had to lose 8 full timers and 13 part timers. But what the company does is offer the employees to transfer to other areas and if no one volunteers they do the seniority bit and then if any refuses well you know what happens there.

    I'm not too sure what I'd do but for now I am doing what I can to stay in the game and continue working by picking up extra hours when they call me or if other co-workers give up hours I pick it up.

    This company is pretty sly in my view because they offer you to transfer and if the certain few do not transfer by seniority methods and get layed off or quit, they really can't collect unemployment because they were offered jobs at other sites the company has.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer
ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.com Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Connecticut Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.